The Federal High Court 19th Criminal Bench has sentenced 20 people to up to five years and six months in prison for trying to establish an Islamic state.
The Bench passed guilty verdicts on December 26, 2016, on the 20 people, including first, second and third defendants, Kedir Mohammed, Nezif Temam and Fuad Abdilkadir, respectively.
According to the charge sheets, the accused participated in criminal activities, agreed to conduct criminal strike as well as tried to establish an Islamic state.
They also attempted to free jailed members of the ‘Dimtsachin Yisema’ (let our voices be heard) movement by creating pressure on the government.
Source: Fana Broadcasting
[Photo by mayns82]
- Ethiopia Arrests 130 People Including Government Officials in Anti-Corruption Probe
- Ethiopia: Human rights groups demand release of jailed bloggers and journalists
- Ethiopian to Release Over 9,000 People Arrested During State of Emergency
- Ethiopia to Inspect Treatment of People Detained During State Ongoing State of Emergency
- Ethiopia Frees 2,000 People Arrested During State of Emergency, Retrieves 1,500 Weapons