Lemi Berhanu and Meseret Mengistu led podium sweeps for Ethiopia at the Xiamen International Marathon on Monday, the first IAAF Gold Label Road Race of 2017.
Berhanu, the reigning Boston Marathon champion, lived up to expectations as the fastest entrant, prevailing in 2:08:27 in the men’s contest. Mengistu, 26, won the women’s contest in 2:25:58.
[Photo by André Motta/Brasil2016.gov.br/CC BY-SA 3.0]
- Kenyan Athletes Dominate 2015 NYC Marathon, Winning Men’s and Women’s Division
- Ethiopian Athletes Dominate 2016 Boston Marathon
- Ethiopian Athlete Protests Against Government After Winning Canadian Marathon
- Ethiopia’s Boston Marathon Winner Honors First Woman to Run the Race With Trophy
- Haile Gebreselassie: Ethiopian Athletes who Fail Drug Tests Would be Banned for Life